Lynis v1.3.0 Released
Lynis is an auditing tool for Unix (specialists). It scans the system and available software, to detect security issues. Beside security related information it will also scan for general system information, installed packages and configuration mistakes.
This software aims in assisting automated auditing, software patch management, vulnerability and malware scanning of Unix based systems. It can be run without prior installation, so inclusion on read only storage is no problem (USB stick, cd/dvd).
Lynis assists auditors in performing Basel II, GLBA, HIPAA, PCI DSS and SOX (Sarbanes-Oxley) compliance audits.
Security specialists, penetration testers, system auditors, system/network managers.
Examples of audit tests:
- Available authentication methods
- Expired SSL certificates
- Outdated software
- User accounts without password
- Incorrect file permissions
- Firewall auditing
- Profile option: ignore_home_dir
- TCP wrappers category added
- Tooling category added
- Initial extensions to support plugins in the future
- Test for unpurged Debian packages [PKGS-7346]
- Test for compiler permissions [HRDN-7222]
- Converted all dates to ISO format and updated copyright lines
- Correct suggestion for file integrity tool [FINT-4350]
- Added hint when RPM list is empty on DPKG based systems [PKGS-7308]
- Changed logging for /etc/security/limits.conf file [KRNL-5820]
- Fixed incorrect warning for single user mode [AUTH-9308]
- Improved output for stratum 16 time servers [TIME-3116]
- Added suggestion and screen output for kernel hardening [KRNL-6000]
- Screen layout optimalizations and log file improvements
- Improved list/layout of scan options
- Improved binary check for compilers
- Added configuration option in scan profile (show_tool_tips, default true)
Download Lynis v1.3.0