Wireshark 1.5.0 Development Release in the wild
Wireshark is the world’s foremost network protocol analyzer. It lets you capture and interactively browse the traffic running on a computer network. It is the de facto (and often de jure) standard across many industries and educational institutions.
Wireshark development thrives thanks to the contributions of networking experts across the globe. It is the continuation of a project that started in 1998.
New and Updated Features
The following features are new (or have been significantly updated) since version 1.4:
- Wireshark can import text dumps, similar to text2pcap.
- You can now view Wireshark’s dissector tables (for example the TCP port to dissector mappings) from the main window.
- TShark can show a specific occurrence of a field when using ‘-T fields’.
- Custom columns can show a specific occurrence of a field.
- You can hide columns in the packet list.
- Wireshark can now export SMB objects.
- dftest and randpkt now have manual pages.
- TShark can now display iSCSI service response times.
- Dumpcap can now save files with a user-specified group id.
- Syntax checking is done for capture filters.
- You can display the compiled BPF code for capture filters in the Capture Options dialog.
- You can now navigate backwards and forwards through TCP and UDP sessions using Ctrl+, and Ctrl+. .
- Packet length is (finally) a default column.
- TCP window size is now avaiable both scaled and unscaled. A TCP window scaling graph is available in the GUI.
- 802.1q VLAN tags are now shown by the Ethernet II dissector.
- Various dissectors now display some UTF-16 strings as proper Unicode including the DCE/RPC and SMB dissectors.
- The RTP player now has an option to show the time of day in the graph in addition to the seconds since beginning of capture.
- The RTP player now shows why media interruptions occur.
- Graphs now save as PNG images by default.
New Protocol Support
ADwin, ADwin-Config, Apache Etch, Aruba PAPI, Constrained Application Protocol (COAP), Digium TDMoE, Ether-S-I/O, FastCGI, Fibre Channel over InfiniBand (FCoIB), Gopher, Gigamon GMHDR, IDMP, Infiniband Socket Direct Protocol (SDP), JSON, LISP Data, MikroTik MAC-Telnet, Mongo Wire Protocol, Network Monitor 802.11 radio header, OPC UA ExtensionObjects, PPI-GEOLOCATION-GPS, ReLOAD, ReLOAD Framing, SAMETIME, SCoP, SGSAP, Tektronix Teklink, WAI authentication, Wi-Fi P2P (Wi-Fi Direct)
New and Updated Capture File Support
Apple PacketLogger, Catapult DCT2000, Daintree SNA, Endace ERF, HP OpenVMS TCPTrace, IPFIX (the file format, not the protocol), Lucent/Ascend debug, Microsoft Network Monitor, Network Instruments, TamoSoft CommView
Official releases are available right now from the download page.